Text Options for the Visually Impaired Font Size: a- A+ Color: A A A Revert 
Close vision bar
Open vision bar

Operation Preparation

OpPrep

Did you know that the career that interests the highest percentage of eighth graders at Lincoln County Middle School is a professional athlete?

What they may not know is less than 1% of college athletes "go pro" according to NCAA and NAIA stats, and less than 1% of the U.S. population cite professional athlete as their occupation according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics.

At this year's Operation Preparation (March 23), community advisors will meet with eighth grade students about what careers may be best open to them so that they can make the best college and career choices for their future.

Operation Preparation is a statewide event geared to help students use their Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) and assessment scores for college and career planning.  This information provides a background for discussion about careers that students are interested in and whether or not their test scores support a future within those career choices.

During Operation Preparation, community advisors meet one-on-one with students and discuss their career aspirations, check their current progress to see if they are on track to meeting those goals, and determine if the students are taking the necessary courses to be on target for college and career readiness. Through these discussions, students can find out if the career and college choices they are considering are their best options.

Who knows?  Maybe some of that less than 1% of professional athletes will come from Lincoln County.  But for the other over 99%, having another plan is definitely worth discussing.

For more information about Operation Preparation you can visit:  http://education.ky.gov/educational/CCadv/op/Pages/default.aspx
 
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Athletes and Sports Competitors, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/athletes-and-sports-competitors.htm (visited March 17, 2016).





Back to School News      Print News Article

Contact Us