Application deadline for the Summer Arts Academy is May 18th at 3:00 pm. The application may be completed at the following link: Arts Academy Application Absolutely no late applications will be accepted.
Please see important details from the email sent to all staff by Jackie Risden-Smith, Chief Academic officer.
We’re excited to share that the Lincoln County School District is eligible to receive a Federal Title IV, part A, Student Support and Academic Enrichment (SSAE) grant.
As usual with all federal grants, this grant requires that grant funds be used to supplement, not supplant. The district does NOT have the flexibility to use these federal grant funds to cover current spending and/or activities. In other words, we can’t take the $38,000 awarded with this grant and use it for operational expenses due to state budget concerns.
Title IV approved activities for use of these federal funds must include activities to support well-rounded educational opportunities.
The grant application process required the district to complete a comprehensive needs assessment to assist in identifying priority activities.
Priority activities identified for expenditure of these grant funds include the following:
1) Summer Arts Academy - Social Studies and World Language Integrated
2) Summer STEM Academy - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
3) Kindergarten Camp - Increased Social/Emotional Focus
4) Professional learning opportunities and training for staff to support the district's chromebook initiative. Also increase the number of Google level 1 and/or Level 2 certified trainers.
Overall vision for the academies...
- Arts focus may include the following: visual arts, theater, voice, culinary arts, pottery, photography, dance, etc. Students have an identified major and minor focus for the academy.
- STEM - An interdisciplinary and applied approach with real-world application. Opportunities are endless but a few areas of focus include the following: coding, 3-D printing, forensics
- Both Academies include all school levels - elementary, middle, and high
- At least five hours of student attendance per day
- Camp dates set to not be at the same time as 21st Century. This gives an additional overall summer learning opportunity for students.
- Breakfast/lunch if possible with district summer feeding program
- Culminating activity for each Academy - includes parent/community attendance
- High school students identified to lead development of younger students in areas of interest as part of the Arts Academy
- Additional details coming soon…