Wondering how to care for your instrument? Saxophone Assembly, Disassembly, and Daily Maintenance
Click here for the Saxophone Fingering Chart.
Which reeds to use?
- Size: new students need to begin playing with a softer reed. The softer the reed, the lower the number. So you might begin with a 2 or 2-1/2. You'll know you need a harder reed if you begin playing consistently flat.
- Brand: Let's go with Rico La Voz or with Vandoren reeds. (Vandoren reeds are a little more expensive, but they are excellent.)
- How many: Please, please, please keep at least three reeds at all times and rotate them. (You know, on Monday use the first one, on Tuesday use the second one, and so on.) These reeds should be:
- in good condition - not chipped, broken, or cracked. Once you try playing with one that is broken, you'll understand why this is important!
- in the reed case unless you are practicing. Never store them on your mouthpiece.
- in your instrument case.